For 100 years the Endocrine Society has been at the forefront of hormone science and public health. It began in 1916 when a group of physicians interested in the expanding field of endocrinology gathered at the American Medical Association meeting in Detroit to discuss the formation of a professional society dedicated to the study of internal secretions.
As a result of this original meeting, the group founded the Association for the Study of Internal Secretions in 1917. The mission of the pioneering band of 300 charter members was “the advancement, promulgation, and exchange of knowledge regarding the internal secretions.” This was to be accomplished through annual meetings and the publication of a journal.
The premier annual meeting, now called ENDO, has been held each year since 1916, except for 1943 and 1945 during World War II. Realizing the increasing importance of endocrinology to general medicine, the Council in 1947 also established an annual postgraduate assembly now known as the Clinical Endocrinology Update (CEU). This three-day meeting provides clinicians with the most current information on best practices.
Publication of the society journal Endocrinology began in 1917. With the continuing growth of the society and the field of endocrinology, the number of publications grew to include the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (1941), Endocrine Reviews (1980), and Molecular Endocrinology (1987). The society’s newest journal, Journal of the Endocrine Society, will launch in late 2016 as an online-only open access journal. The Society also publishes a monthly magazine, Endocrine News (2001).
In 1952, the society changed its name to the Endocrine Society. Throughout its history, the Society has counted many highly esteemed physicians and researchers among its membership, including 10 Nobel Laureates, four of whom were past presidents of the Endocrine Society.